Thursday, September 24, 2009

What's 4 dinner 2night?

Are you having trouble deciding what's 4 dinner 2night? Welcome to my world! My everyday dinner plans for my family of four that include meals that are healthy, delicious, fun and easy have been a real challenge and frankly a down right nuisance. Of course it would be easy to get take out for dinner but, over time its not cost effective, healthy, and frankly not that tasty.
So after spending some time brainstorming this problem, I decided that I had to get out of my own way and make dinner not only easy and delicious but most important, enjoyable.
I kicked on the food network channel and...... BAM! My creative side began to emerge. Of course the food looks incredibly amazing/delicious and some are really not that hard to prepare (especially if you modify them according to what you have on hand). So I've come up with some really fun dinner ideas that are easy, delicious, and fun. The key is to have the basic staples* in your kitchen, and to always think ahead so that you don't get stressed out at 5:00. I hate getting to that point where I realize I don't have key ingredients for my last minute dinner, the family is asking "what's 4 dinner" and then you find yourself resorting to PBJ's all because you didn't plan it out earlier. It just puts you in that nasty stressed out avoidable mood.
So, I ask.......WHAT'S 4 DINNER 2NIGHT?
CHINESE CHICKEN SALAD it is!

I have a frozen chicken breast in the freezer. I defrosted it, and marinated it and put it in the fridge.
My Marinade for two chicken breast consisted of: 1/4 of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (olive or blend is fine too), 1/4 tsp of ginger (fresh grated would be awesome), 1 clove garlic crushed, dash of hot pepper flakes, ground pepper, toasted sesame seeds, 1/4 tsp onion powder, chopped fresh cilantro.

the bulk of the salad is basically thinly sliced purple, and green cabbage (1/2 of head for both), toasted almonds (easy 2 do in skillet with butter), toasted sesame seeds, diced green onions, and crushed ramen noodles, chopped fresh cilantro, grated carrots (2). Toss with 3/4 of marinade.

Salad Marinade: Consists of white Sugar (1/8 cup), apple cider vineger (1/8 cup), soy sauce (1/8 cup), 3/4 blended oil, 1 small crushed garlic, ginger, ground pepper.

I will be grilling the chicken at around 5:00, cool it, slice it thinly and lay it on top of the greens and drizzle remaining marinade on top. Sprinkle some coarsely chopped cilantro on top.

I've made this before for my family. It's so easy, fabulous, fresh and delicious!
Happy Eating!
Tracy



No comments:

Post a Comment